Who needs to take there CBT?

Compulsory basic training (CBT) is a course you usually have to take before you ride a moped or motorcycle on the road.

The training makes sure you can ride safely on your own while you practise for your full moped or motorcycle test. We try to make the CBT course as fun as we possibly can for our student and give you a basic understanding or riding a scooter or motorcycle.

CBT isn’t a test that you pass or fail.

After you’ve completed CBT, you can ride a:

  • moped if you’re 16 or over

  • motorcycle up to 125cc and with a power output of up to 11kW if you’re 17 or over

You must use L plates (L or D plates in Wales).

You must pass your full moped or motorcycle test within 2 years, or you have to either take CBT again or stop riding.

How Much does it cost?

The cost for you CBT is set at a flat rate of £100.00 if you would like to use one of our motorcycles or £80.00 if you wish to use your own motorcycle.


When you don’t need to take CBT

You don’t have to take CBT if you:

  • want to ride a moped (up to 50cc) and you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001

  • want to ride a motorcycle and have a full moped licence from passing a moped test since 1 December 1990

  • have a full motorcycle licence for one category and want to upgrade to another

  • live and ride on some offshore islands

Booking your CBT course

You can book your compulsory basic training (CBT) course directly with us.

The training school sets the course price. The price depends on where you do the training and if you bring your own moped or motorcycle.

The training school can ask you to share your driving licence information with them before the course.

Preparing for your CBT course

Your trainer can stop your compulsory basic training (CBT) course if your basic knowledge of The Highway Code and traffic signs isn’t good enough for you to ride safely.

You need to know:

  • the main rules that apply to moped and motorcycle riders

  • what other road users are likely to do

You can be charged again to retake the course if your trainer stops your training because you aren’t prepared.

You can buy the guide to learning to ride to help you prepare. You can also buy it from high street and online book shops.

What to take to your course

Take your UK driving licence to your training course.

What you need to wear

You must wear:

  • a motorcycle helmet that meets British safety standards (unless you’re Sikh and wearing a turban) - check if the training school will provide one

  • motorcycle boots or other sturdy footwear that supports and protects your ankles

  • textile or leather motorcycle trousers or heavy denim trousers

  • a textile or leather motorcycle jacket or a heavy denim jacket with several layers underneath

  • motorcycle gloves

Your course can be stopped and you can be charged to take it again if you don’t wear suitable clothing.

Using your own moped or motorcycle

You can’t ride your own moped or motorcycle to the course unless you already have a valid compulsory basic training (CBT) certificate - for example, if you’re taking CBT again before your current certificate expires.

How the training works

The compulsory basic training (CBT) course usually lasts a full day. It can take longer depending on how quickly you learn.

There are 5 parts to the course:

  • introduction and eyesight check

  • on-site training

  • on-site riding

  • on-road training

  • on-road riding

The CBT course syllabus tells you more about what’s involved in each part.

You move from one part to the next when your trainer is happy you’ve:

  • learnt the theory

  • shown the practical skills to a safe basic level

On-road riding

The on-road riding part will last at least 2 hours. 

How many people you’ll train with

You might train with other learners. There’s a maximum number of:

  • 4 learners per trainer for on-site parts

  • 2 learners per trainer for on-road parts

When you complete the course

You’ll get a ‘certificate of completion’ (sometimes called a ‘DL196’) when you successfully complete the course.

You can then ride a moped or motorcycle up to 125cc and with a power output of up to 11kW on the road with L plates (L or D plates in Wales).

You must pass your theory test and full moped or motorcycle test within 2 years otherwise you’ll need to complete CBT again or stop riding.

If you have a car driving licence

You can ride a moped (up to 50cc) without L plates and without taking the moped test in some situations.

You passed your driving test from 1 February 2001

You must complete a compulsory basic training (CBT) course to activate your full moped licence after you pass your car driving test.

If you have a valid CBT certificate when you pass the car driving test, it activates your full moped licence immediately.

You can then ride a moped (up to 50cc) without L plates. You don’t need to take the full moped test.

You can ride mopeds for as long as your car driving licence lasts.

You passed your driving test before 1 February 2001

You can ride a moped (up to 50cc) without L plates. You don’t need to take a CBT course or take the full moped test.

You must take CBT if you want to ride anything larger than a 50cc moped.

If you ride on offshore islands

You must take compulsory basic training (CBT) to ride in these places:

  • the Isle of Wight

  • South Uist

  • North Uist

  • Benbecula

  • Harris

  • Lewis

  • mainland Orkney

  • mainland Shetland

  • any other island connected to mainland Great Britain by road

You don’t need to take CBT to ride on other offshore islands.

Shauns Scooters and

Motorcycle Training,

Gloucester Avenue,


07748 445234